On behalf of the Seattle Equity Summit 2020 Collaborative, we kicked off our 2nd annual Seattle Equity Summit: “Taking Power: BIPOC* Leaders are Revolutionary and Necessary!”, a virtual summit scheduled for July 22 and 23, 2020.
The summit will bring together upwards of 400 Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC*), along with white allies/partners to share social justice and political strategies and to network. Our hope is that the summit will increase the number of participating and engaging in the political process and in civic involvement activities, through voting, running campaigns, seeking elected office, advocating for issues and leading social justice movements, among other things.
Our guest list for the summit will include people across sectors, including those from the civic, business, and philanthropy worlds; from government, education, faith-based and non-profit organizations; and from the general public. The convening is intended to share practices for systemic change in Seattle, Washington State and the nation. There will be presentations, panel discussions, facilitated discussions, networking opportunities and other activities designed to inspire collective action following the summit.
The goals of this virtual convening are to:
- Create greater understanding of social justice movements and political processes at the local level, state level and national level
- Explore how racism, implicit bias and other barriers impede the ability of people of color to participate in the political process and other systems
- Discuss strategies for overcoming these barriers
- Share insights/lessons learned from successful and unsuccessful political campaigns, movements and other organizing efforts
- Galvanize teams to take action to increase participation of people of color in the political process and other systems
- Share findings/learnings and next steps The summit will showcase community leaders who are tackling the challenges of systemic change through the lens of racial justice. Speakers will share how they are implementing change strategies and engage an audience that can support and leverage their work.